Self Employed Solo 401k Daily Question – Which EIN do I use on the Form 5500-EZ?

Please check out this good question from our Daily Live Zoom call. Subscribe to our YouTube Channel to get notifications of our Daily Solo 401k FAQs.

Self-Employed Solo 401k Daily Question: Why does the Form 5500-EZ ask for the employer’s EIN instead of the Solo 401k Plan’s EIN?

It is important to remember that a Solo 401(k) plan is for a self-employed business.

As such, it is the business that’s really filing the Form 5500-EZ tax return and that is why why the EIN number of the self-employed business (as opposed to the EIN number of the plan) that is used when filing a Form 5500-EZ.

For self-employed business taxed as a sole proprietorship, an EIN number specifically for business may never have been obtained (e.g. perhaps the individual always used his/her social security number).

The 5500-EZ form instructions are clear that one cannot use his or her Social Security number. Thus, before filing the Form 5500-EZ, the self-employed person will have to first obtain an EIN number specifically for the business and then use that number for purposes of filing 5500-EZ.

Tags: , , , ,

About George Blower

I have the privilege of educating our clients about our products and services so that they can make informed and confident decisions about their financial future. Prior to joining My Solo 401k Financial, I served as the general counsel for a subsidiary of a Fortune 500 financial services company. Learn more about George Blower and My Solo 401k Financial >>


  • Popular Video

  • ROBS 401k Funding Process

  • Solo 401k Contributions Including Mega

  • Checkbook IRA LLC

  • About MySolo401k

    We help our clients take control of their retirement money. Our products and services provide our clients the freedom to invest their retirement savings in their own business as well as alternative investments such as real estate, private companies, promissory notes, precious metals, tax liens and equities.
    Learn more

    Connect with us

  • We’re here to help.

    Call: 800-489-7571


    8:00 am - 4:00 pm PT

    Why us?