Foreign Pension Plan from Canada Cannot be Transferred to a Solo 401k Plan or IRA LLC


I want to start investing in real estate, so I want to open a self-directed solo 401k plan for my self-employed real estate agent business.  In addition to making annual contributions to the solo 401k plan, I would also like to transfer my Canadian Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) to the solo 401k plan. Can I do this under your solo 401k plan?



Good question. Unfortunately the 401k rules do not allow for incoming transfers from foreign pension plans.  Therefore, because a solo 401k plan is a 401k but for the self-employed, foreign pension plans such as RRSP, UK Pension,  and Australian SUPER may not be transferred to a solo 401k plan. Also, the IRS regulations do not allow for the transfer of foreign pension plans to IRAs.

About Mark Nolan

Each day I speak with energetic entrepreneurs looking to take the plunge into a new venture and small business owners eager to take control of their retirement savings. I am passionate about helping others find their financial independence. Having worked for over 20 years with some of the top retirement account custodian and insurance companies I have a deep and extensive knowledge of the complexities of self-directed 401ks and IRAs as well as retirement plan regulations. Learn more about Mark Nolan and My Solo 401k Financial >>


  • Popular Video

  • ROBS 401k Funding Process

  • Solo 401k Contributions Including Mega

  • Checkbook IRA LLC

  • About MySolo401k

    We help our clients take control of their retirement money. Our products and services provide our clients the freedom to invest their retirement savings in their own business as well as alternative investments such as real estate, private companies, promissory notes, precious metals, tax liens and equities.
    Learn more

    Connect with us

  • We’re here to help.

    Call: 800-489-7571


    8:00 am - 4:00 pm PT

    Why us?