structure Roth Solo 401k for tax free growth

QUESTION: I have a potential investment that I am thinking of using my Solo401k to invest in, but it has potential to increase my investment many times in a few years (if it works anyway) and thus I would long term face paying taxes on all that increase when I eventually withdraw from the 401K. Is there a way to structure my 401k, or some of my solo401k monies, to be a Roth 401k and have the same benefits of self-directed investing, just under a Roth?

ANSWER: You can process an in-plan Roth 401k conversion and pay the taxes now on the conversion amount. Subsequently, the investment is be made using Roth 401k funds and the earnings will grow tax free.  To learn more about the in-plan solo 401k Roth conversion rules, visit the following links.  We can then assist with the in-plan Roth 401k conversion reporting including issuing the 1099R to the IRS.—In-Plan-Rollovers-to-Designated-Roth-Solo-401k-Account.html


Jim in Evansville, Indiana

About Mark Nolan

Each day I speak with energetic entrepreneurs looking to take the plunge into a new venture and small business owners eager to take control of their retirement savings. I am passionate about helping others find their financial independence. Having worked for over 20 years with some of the top retirement account custodian and insurance companies I have a deep and extensive knowledge of the complexities of self-directed 401ks and IRAs as well as retirement plan regulations. Learn more about Mark Nolan and My Solo 401k Financial >>


  • Popular Video

  • ROBS 401k Funding Process

  • Solo 401k Contributions Including Mega

  • Checkbook IRA LLC

  • About MySolo401k

    We help our clients take control of their retirement money. Our products and services provide our clients the freedom to invest their retirement savings in their own business as well as alternative investments such as real estate, private companies, promissory notes, precious metals, tax liens and equities.
    Learn more

    Connect with us

  • We’re here to help.

    Call: 800-489-7571


    8:00 am - 4:00 pm PT

    Why us?