To open a Solo 401k, S-Corporation W2 Income Required



We have a subchapter S corporation that we have had since 2001.  The corporation did operate convenience stores until we sold out last year.  The corporation is now used to own & manage residential rental properties which is our business now. We are in Kentucky.  As of now we likely won’t have any W-2 income from the corporation as the Sub S flows through to our 1040 return. Can we open a solo 401k plan for the S-corporation and make annual contributions?


Unless you are performing services that would lead to earned income (W-2 income) through the S-corporation, any other income will be deemed passive income and therefore you will not qualify to participate in a solo 401k. See IRS publication 560 for more information surrounding passive income vs. earned income and how passive income does not qualify for solo 401k participation or contribution purposes. In the case of an S-Corporation or C-corporation, only W-2 income may be used to make annual solo 401k contributions.

About Mark Nolan

Each day I speak with energetic entrepreneurs looking to take the plunge into a new venture and small business owners eager to take control of their retirement savings. I am passionate about helping others find their financial independence. Having worked for over 20 years with some of the top retirement account custodian and insurance companies I have a deep and extensive knowledge of the complexities of self-directed 401ks and IRAs as well as retirement plan regulations. Learn more about Mark Nolan and My Solo 401k Financial >>


  • Popular Video

  • ROBS 401k Funding Process

  • Solo 401k Contributions Including Mega

  • Checkbook IRA LLC

  • About MySolo401k

    We help our clients take control of their retirement money. Our products and services provide our clients the freedom to invest their retirement savings in their own business as well as alternative investments such as real estate, private companies, promissory notes, precious metals, tax liens and equities.
    Learn more

    Connect with us

  • We’re here to help.

    Call: 800-489-7571


    8:00 am - 4:00 pm PT

    Why us?