Employee After-Tax Contributions Portability

Individuals may roll over employee after-tax contributions (also known as voluntary contributions) from a retirement plan (e.g., a 401(k) plan) to a Traditional or Roth IRA or to another eligible retirement plan such as a solo 401k , provided the receiving solo 401k plan separately accounts such amounts. Plans eligible to receive after-tax assets, are governmental 457(b) plans, IRC Secs. 401(a)- a solo 401k plan falls under the 401a umbrella, 403(a), and 403(b) plans, and IRAs. While individuals must directly roll over after-tax assets between eligible retirement plans, they can indirectly roll over after-tax assets from retirement plans to IRAs.

About Mark Nolan

Each day I speak with energetic entrepreneurs looking to take the plunge into a new venture and small business owners eager to take control of their retirement savings. I am passionate about helping others find their financial independence. Having worked for over 20 years with some of the top retirement account custodian and insurance companies I have a deep and extensive knowledge of the complexities of self-directed 401ks and IRAs as well as retirement plan regulations. Learn more about Mark Nolan and My Solo 401k Financial >>


  • Popular Video

  • ROBS 401k Funding Process

  • Solo 401k Contributions Including Mega

  • Checkbook IRA LLC

  • About MySolo401k

    We help our clients take control of their retirement money. Our products and services provide our clients the freedom to invest their retirement savings in their own business as well as alternative investments such as real estate, private companies, promissory notes, precious metals, tax liens and equities.
    Learn more

    Connect with us

  • We’re here to help.

    Call: 800-489-7571


    8:00 am - 4:00 pm PT

    Why us?