Report 403(b) Direct Rollover to Solo 401k Plan

QUESTION: Last year I processed a direct rollover of my TIAA-CREF 403(b) to a self-directed Solo 401k offered by a solo 401k provider out of New York.  Do you happen to know how I would go about reporting the 403(b) rollover to my self-directed solo 401k? I noticed that you answer a lot of questions pertaining to self-directed solo 401k so though I would run it by you.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated,

Jennifer P

ANSWER: To report the transfer or direct-rollover from a 403(b) to a self-directed solo 401k, you will need the following two forms:

Form 1099-R is used to report distributions from IRAs, 401k plans and 403(b) annuities.

Since you processed a direct rollover from a 403(b) to a Solo 401k plan (also referred to as a self-directed solo 401k), when you receive your Form 1099-R from TIAA-CREF, confirm that they indeed processed a direct rollover by checking for the following:

  • That Box 1, Gross Distribution, lists the correct amount directly rolled over;
  • That Box 2, Taxable Amount, reads zero because the funds were directly rolled over to a Solo 401k; and
  • That Box 7, Distribution Code(s), shows letter “G”, the code denoting direct rollover to another qualified plan such as a self-directed Solo 401k.

If a code G is not reflected in box 7, contact TIAA-CREF right away and have them issue a corrected Form 1099-R.  A this point you may also want to get you Solo 401k provider involved that you opened the self-directed solo 401k through as they may need to compose an explanation letter for you and mail it to TIAA-CREF to make the necessary corrections to the Form 1099-R.

Form 1040 or 1040A

After you have the correct Form 1099-R from TIAA-CREF showing the direct rollover from 403(b) to Solo 401k, you will need to report the direct rollover on either Form 1040 or 1040A as follows.

  • Entire 403(b) distribution goes on line 12a if you file Form 1040A, on line 16a if you use the long Form 1040.
  • 0 goes in box 12b of Form 1040A or in line 16b if you file Form 1040 since you deposited the 403(b) annuity funds into the Self-Directed Solo 401k checking account. Remember to write ” rollover to 401k” next to the amount.

Lastly, submit a copy of your Form 1099-R with your Form 1040 or 1040A.

About Mark Nolan

Each day I speak with energetic entrepreneurs looking to take the plunge into a new venture and small business owners eager to take control of their retirement savings. I am passionate about helping others find their financial independence. Having worked for over 20 years with some of the top retirement account custodian and insurance companies I have a deep and extensive knowledge of the complexities of self-directed 401ks and IRAs as well as retirement plan regulations. Learn more about Mark Nolan and My Solo 401k Financial >>


  • Popular Video

  • ROBS 401k Funding Process

  • Solo 401k Contributions Including Mega

  • Checkbook IRA LLC

  • About MySolo401k

    We help our clients take control of their retirement money. Our products and services provide our clients the freedom to invest their retirement savings in their own business as well as alternative investments such as real estate, private companies, promissory notes, precious metals, tax liens and equities.
    Learn more

    Connect with us

  • We’re here to help.

    Call: 800-489-7571


    8:00 am - 4:00 pm PT

    Why us?