I Received Form 1099-R with Code G in Box 7

I’m not sure why I received Form 1099-R this year in February containing code “G“ in box 7 from my former employer 401k provider, especially since I transferred my former employer 401k to my self-employed business Solo 401k, which I have invested in real-estate rental properties and precious metals, investments that my former employer’s 401k did not permit.

After you open Solo 401k and transfer your former employer 401k plan to it, the movement of the funds is reportable but not taxable when code “G” is populated in box 7 of Form 1099-R.  Therefore, the transfer of your former employer 401k to Solo 401k is not considered taxable but, instead, only reportable to the IRS. The former employer 401k transfer is also reportable on your personal tax return (Form 1040) in line 16a by entering 0 and entering “transfer” in box 16b. You will need to file Form 1099-R with your personal tax return (Form 1040).

Lastly, if you received copy of Form 1099-R from your former employer 401k provider that contains code 1 or 7 in box 7 instead of code G, you should contact your current Solo 401k provider so they can assist you in clarifying the matter with your former employer 401k provider.

About Mark Nolan

Each day I speak with energetic entrepreneurs looking to take the plunge into a new venture and small business owners eager to take control of their retirement savings. I am passionate about helping others find their financial independence. Having worked for over 20 years with some of the top retirement account custodian and insurance companies I have a deep and extensive knowledge of the complexities of self-directed 401ks and IRAs as well as retirement plan regulations. Learn more about Mark Nolan and My Solo 401k Financial >>


  • Popular Video

  • ROBS 401k Funding Process

  • Solo 401k Contributions Including Mega

  • Checkbook IRA LLC

  • About MySolo401k

    We help our clients take control of their retirement money. Our products and services provide our clients the freedom to invest their retirement savings in their own business as well as alternative investments such as real estate, private companies, promissory notes, precious metals, tax liens and equities.
    Learn more

    Connect with us

  • We’re here to help.

    Call: 800-489-7571


    8:00 am - 4:00 pm PT

    Why us?