Property Manager Issued Form 1099-MISC for Self-Directed Solo 401k Owned Property


Last year we hired a property management company to manage the 4-plex apartment building I own in the self-directed Solo 401K. The company issued a 1099 with the gross rental income for 2021.  How do I notify the IRS that this “income” is part of my 401-K and therefore not taxable?


Not Taxable

While rental income is generally considered taxable income, as long as the rental property is owned by the solo 401k, annual taxes won’t be due on that income.

Rental income stemming from real estate property (e.g., single, home, family home, apartment, condominium, etc.) owned under the solo 401k ( a retirement trust) flows back to the solo 401k and is sheltered from taxes until distributions commence (generally at retirement age) from the solo 401k.

Therefore, if you receive a Form 1099-R MISC from the property manager, and even though they submitted a copy to the IRS, the form may be stored in your solo 401k file but you do not file it with your personal tax return, business tax return or any return for the solo 401k including Form 5500-EZ.

Properly Issued Form 1099-MISC

Make sure the Form 1099-MISC was issued to the correct payer. The form needs to be issued in the name of the solo 401k using the solo 401k plan’s EIN. If the property manager issued the Form 1099-MISC make sure to have it correct immediately before they file it with the IRS, or request that they file a corrected form if they already filed it with the IRS. To ensure the property manager correctly issues the Form 1099-MISC to the solo 401k, provide then a copy of  a Form W-9.

About Mark Nolan

Each day I speak with energetic entrepreneurs looking to take the plunge into a new venture and small business owners eager to take control of their retirement savings. I am passionate about helping others find their financial independence. Having worked for over 20 years with some of the top retirement account custodian and insurance companies I have a deep and extensive knowledge of the complexities of self-directed 401ks and IRAs as well as retirement plan regulations. Learn more about Mark Nolan and My Solo 401k Financial >>

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>



  • Popular Video

  • ROBS 401k Funding Process

  • Solo 401k Contributions Including Mega

  • Checkbook IRA LLC

  • About MySolo401k

    We help our clients take control of their retirement money. Our products and services provide our clients the freedom to invest their retirement savings in their own business as well as alternative investments such as real estate, private companies, promissory notes, precious metals, tax liens and equities.
    Learn more

    Connect with us

  • We’re here to help.

    Call: 800-489-7571


    8:00 am - 4:00 pm PT

    Why us?