401k business financing | 401k business funding

BACKGROUND:  A friend of mine used his former employer 401k for funding his restaurant business earlier this year and I’m considering using my 401k for business financing as well.   However, I’m used to just investing my 401k in a mutual funds not a business.

QUESTION: Can you please tell me in layman’s terms how I can use my existing 401k for business financing a restaurant start-up?

Thank you so much in advance,

Tom W. in Colorado

ANSWER: What you are describing is referred by the IRS as Rollover as Business Start-Ups (ROBS) and it involves using one’s retirement funds such as a former employer 401k for financing/funding one’s business such as a restaurant. Most operational businesses qualify while passive income generating businesses do not.

In layman’s terms, the basic 401k business funding arrangement works as follows:

A new C-Corporation is formed (in order for the ROBS 401k financing arrangement to work the entity type must be a C-Corporation)

The C-Corporation adopts a 401k (sponsors a 401k)

Retirement funds such as a former employer 401k are transferred/directly rolled over  to the new 401k

The newly adopted 401k uses the new 401k proceeds transferred from the former employer 401k to purchase stock shares in the new C-Corporation.

The C-Corporation subsequently uses the proceeds to purchase or start a new business.

About Mark Nolan

Each day I speak with energetic entrepreneurs looking to take the plunge into a new venture and small business owners eager to take control of their retirement savings. I am passionate about helping others find their financial independence. Having worked for over 20 years with some of the top retirement account custodian and insurance companies I have a deep and extensive knowledge of the complexities of self-directed 401ks and IRAs as well as retirement plan regulations. Learn more about Mark Nolan and My Solo 401k Financial >>


  • Popular Video

  • ROBS 401k Funding Process

  • Solo 401k Contributions Including Mega

  • Checkbook IRA LLC

  • About MySolo401k

    We help our clients take control of their retirement money. Our products and services provide our clients the freedom to invest their retirement savings in their own business as well as alternative investments such as real estate, private companies, promissory notes, precious metals, tax liens and equities.
    Learn more

    Connect with us

  • We’re here to help.

    Call: 800-489-7571


    8:00 am - 4:00 pm PT

    Why us?